Enjoy a heart-warming one pot sausage casserole, perfect for sharing at the dinner table on a crispy cold autumn evening
Preparation – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 55 minutes
12 pork sausages 1 tbsp oil
4 rashers of streaky bacon – diced
2 carrots – peeled & diced
1 leek –sliced
200g small mushrooms
I onion – finely diced
400 g potatoes – peeled & cut into small cubes
1 tbsp plain flour
200ml apple juice
100ml vegetable stock
2 Bramley apples – cored & diced
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp finely chopped sage
Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed pan and brown the sausages till golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon. Add the bacon, carrots, leek, mushroom, onion and potatoes to the pan, stir and cook – sauté gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 min.
- Slowly blend in the apple juice and stock. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, return the sausages and simmer for 40 minutes – stirring occasionally to check the sausages aren’t sticking to the pan. The apples will have broken down and thickened the sauce – if still holding their shape mash slightly with the back of a wooden spoon
- Add the mustard and chopped sage. Stir and cook further 5 minutes.
We’d love to know how you got on – please share your recipe successes and photos on our Facebook page – HERE